Blog Welcomes

Welcome to my Digital Media class blog. Here you will find assignments, thoughts, and weekly blog posts related to my class. Enjoy!

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Science behind my Embodiment Project

I have been interested in researching how my design can become a realistic possibility. Now, we already know that sensors can pick up movements and send them to a computer. Of course, this has already been done by Xbox Kinect, and other programs, like I have mentioned. The problem is learning the science behind electrodes and thought process, and connecting it with a computer.

I read an article on Brain-Computer Interfaces to see how they work. The article is found here . It says that ­"regardless of the location of the electrodes, the basic mechanism is the same: The electrodes measure minute differences in the voltage between neurons. The signal is then amplified and filtered. In current BCI systems, it is then interpreted by a computer program".
This is exactly what I was looking for. Now knowing that the electrodes can be placed anywhere on the "brain" and still pick up the same effect, I can determine how I want to design my headset. Not only this, but I now know the science behind the thought process.

This 'thought process' is already being used in medical practices and just recently beginning to occur in other programs (like the prototype games I talked about before).

There are still a few problems behind Brain-Computer Interfaces that I have to be aware of and try to fix or work around. These being: 
1)The signal is week, and is prone to interference
2)Equipment is not very portable
3)The brain is complex, and its hard for electrodes to pick up every bit of information.

Some of these issues can be addressed, and I can make them useful to my design process. For example, number two can be improved upon, and made portable through a headphone/electrode attachment.

These are just some things I need to think about behind the design of my device.

Again, here is the link to the article I was reading (On HowStuffWorks; which is a Discovery Channel Company) : http://computer.howstuffworks.com/brain-computer-interface.htm/printable

No comments:

Post a Comment